Interest-free loans of up to £150,000* are available from Energy Saving Trust, funded by Transport Scotland (an agency of the Scottish Government), to enable owners and operators of hackney cabs (purpose-built taxis) or private hire taxis to replace their current vehicle with an eligible ultra-low emission vehicle.
*Limited companies are eligible for up to £150,000 of loan support; sole traders or partnerships are eligible for up to £75,000 of loan support.
Hackney (purpose-built taxi) drivers only
The funded purpose-built taxi vehicle must be eligible for the Office for Zero Emission Vehicles (OZEV) plug-in grant. See full details of eligible vehicles (under ‘Taxis’).
Private hire drivers only
The maximum amount of loan support available to purchase one electric car is £30,000. The vehicle must cost £50,000 or less.
The following basic eligibility criteria apply to the Switched on Taxis Loan:
- You are based in Scotland and/or currently and actively operating in Scotland. If your business is registered in England or Wales, but operates in Scotland, you can provide us with a utility bill or similar document showing us the address in Scotland.
- You have been trading or operational for at least 12 months.
- You have regular day-to-day access to a charge point located in Scotland; if you do not, you are arranging to have one installed or you are joining ChargePlace Scotland.
When you apply, be sure to have ready:
- Your financial accounts (assets, liabilities, total income, etc).
- Quote(s) for the vehicle(s).
- Dealership contact details.
- Vehicle Comparison Report or Fleet Review.
In addition to the above you may also need:
- Your V5 document – if you are applying as a purpose-built, public hire taxi owner or operator.
- A letter from your dealership detailing the vehicle’s registration number and odometer reading – if you are seeking support to purchase an ex-demonstration vehicle.
For further details, please refer to the full eligibility criteria.
Energy Saving Trust aims to process complete applications within 10 working days. A decision cannot be guaranteed before this, and if the information is missing it will take longer to process. The claim process will take a further 10 working days, then allow another 3 to 5 working days for payment for successful applications.
How to apply?
For more information and to make an application, please fill in our online business transport form.
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Sorry, unable to load the Maps API.