With the replacement of the Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) no longer applicable due to Brexit, the Basic Payments Scheme (BPS) is being replaced in 2024 by the Environmental Land Management System (ELMs).
Within this we may see provisions for domestic offsetting, where farmers can be rewarded for increasing sequestration on their land through active management such as tree planting. We would hope that a domestic system for this is set up, so that private businesses can access farmland for localised tree planting.
Best UK Carbon Offset Schemes
- Type: Woodland restoration and biodiversity protection
- Third- party certification: Woodland Carbon Code
- Location: Lynbreck
- Est. Reductions: 3,688 metric tonnes CO2e
- Cost: £10.80 per tonne of CO2
Best International Schemes
Best B Corp because of the value in offering sustainable business services. It’s possible to request a quote tailored on a business’ goals and budget, thus making the 3Degrees scheme a better option for businesses that are interested in large offsets and that want to take advantage of other available sustainability services.
- Type: Agricultural Methane Capture/Combustion (digester)
- Third- party certification: Climate Action Reserve (CAR)
- Location: US
- Est. Reduction: 19,402 metric tonnes CO2e
- Cost: n/a
|Name||Location||Type||Cost per tonne CO2|
|Forest Carbon||UK||Restoration and Biodiversity||£10.80|
|My Carbon Plan||UK||Tree Planting||£6.50|
|NativeEnergy||Tanzania||Reduction of Deforestation||$15.50|
|STI||US||Renewable Energy Infrastructure||Custom|